Thursday, June 29, 2023

Walking away from books

As you may know, I read a lot. I am typically a 115+ books a year type of reader. It is just who I have always been.

Lately, I have hit an unusual reading conundrum in that I am getting about 60-70% of the way through a book, and then not caring about finishing it. I have done that with three books this year. They cross genres and story types, so it isn’t that I am bored with anything specific I can point at. But for some reason, I am getting bored after reading ⅔ of a book.

Typically, if I am not enjoying a book, I notice it early into the reading process, and then I’ll walk away. But this far in, I feel like I should stick it out, and yet I have had no guilt about setting them aside and moving on. I think that as I get older, I don’t have the patience to push through with anything that I am not enjoying, and that includes books. There are so many things in our daily lives that cause displeasure that we have no control over, so maybe walking away from a boring book is a way to take back some control in my life. We regularly walk away from plenty of other things when we tire of them, and they no longer feed our soul–movies, hobbies, meals, conversations, jobs, relationships–so why not leave a book behind to find one that brings pleasure back into my reading time?

Is this just me? Do you walk away from books that far in? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Healthy Freedom of Time

 Four and a half years ago, I made a Facebook post about the world shutting down. At the time, everything seemed daunting and overwhelming. ...