Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Savor

 Sometimes, a book just gets to you. It gets into your mind, your soul, and your feelings. I recently finished reading Savor, by Fatima Ali, and it has infiltrated my mind, soul, and feelings.

I am an affiliate member of Amazon and bookshop.org, so any purchases through this post's links will earn me a commission. Check out the about page for more information on that and how I get my hands on these fantastic books.

If you’re unfamiliar with Fatima Ali, that means you don’t watch many cooking competition shows. She was introduced to so many people around the world by competing on Chopped and, more infamously, Top Chef. She always cooked with her soul and her heritage in every dish. Her dream was to awaken Americans to the delicious beauty of her native Pakistani cuisine. However, her dream had to be lived by someone else because, at the age of 29, she died of cancer.

The first 75% of the book has chapters from both Fatima and her mother discussing Fatima’s childhood and upbringing in Pakistan. They also discuss her move to the United States for culinary school and all of the opportunities that came afterward. They talk of the good and the bad, the struggles of family, and the unconditional support from those you love when you have a dream.

The last 25% is about her cancer battle, still with chapters by both Fatima and her mother. They talk of the death of Fatima’s dreams along with her body. They discuss the frustration, grief, stress, and heartache of watching a loved one die. But they also talk about the difficulties in processing a mother losing a child. 

As a mom, I felt the anguish coming off the pages. I felt sadness for her going through losing her child, watching her child die, and not being able to imagine being in that position. And then I look at Fatima’s bucket list and am reminded that my children will be left behind by me one day, and I need to fulfill their bucket lists with them, to leave them full of memories of a mom who made their dreams a reality.

While this was a heartwrenching read, I am so glad I read it. She has a fantastic story, and she wanted to inspire other women to take risks and live their dreams. Hopefully, her memoir will do that throughout generations to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Healthy Freedom of Time

 Four and a half years ago, I made a Facebook post about the world shutting down. At the time, everything seemed daunting and overwhelming. ...